Associate Specialist or Specialist- Plant Biology- Department of Plant and Microbial Biology
Open date: September 6th, 2019
Next review date: Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Monday, Oct 7, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Plant and Microbial Biology at the University of California, Berkeley seeks applications for an Associate Specialist or Specialist in Dr. Yangnan Gu’s Laboratory, in the area of plant molecular genetics and cell biology, at 50% time with an expected start date for October, 2019.
The Gu Lab studies the plant immune system and the role of plant nuclear envelope proteins during immune responses. The position will require a high level of independence and expertise in Arabidopsis research. The position will involve scientific contributions to multiple projects within the lab and provide a leading role in supporting Gu Lab research efforts on understanding the regulation of plant stress responses at the nuclear boundary.
Responsibilities of this position will include the following;
- Provide considerable independence and innovation in designing, planning and execution of research experiments, including molecular cloning, confocal laser scanning microscopy, protein function analysis, and proteomic analysis
- Conduct Arabidopsis genetic experiments, including phenotyping, genotyping, genetic crosses and genome editing
- Ensure regulatory compliance relative to safety in research, develop and provide for staff training in equipment use and safety protocols, and manage day-to-day lab operations
- Provide oversight to graduate and undergraduate students
Basic Qualifications (At the time of application):
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent international degree at the time of application
Additional Qualifications (By start date):
- Master’s degree plus three years of additional laboratory experience or bachelor’s degree plus five years of additional laboratory experience
Preferred Qualifications (By start date):
- PhD, or equivalent international degree
- Demonstrated experience in the plant research field for 10 or more years with extensive research experience in plant biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, and genetics
- Willingness and ability to learn new methods and skills for challenging research projects.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work tasks with others, and meet multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Record of academic accomplishments including contributions to publications
This position reports to Dr. Yangnan Gu. The initial appointment will be at 50% time for one year with the possibility of extension based on satisfactory performance and availability of funding. Specific questions regarding the recruitment can be directed to Dr. Yangnan Gu, email@example.com.
This recruitment will remain open until filled.
For more information on the Specialist series, please see https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel- programs/_files/apm/apm-330.pdf
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Generous benefits are included.
How To Apply, https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF02278
Contact information for three references is required. Only the references for finalists will be contacted. The recruitment will remain open until filled. Questions regarding this recruitment can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Berkeley seeks to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
The department is interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their work.
More information about this recruitment: https://plantandmicrobiology.berkeley.edu/profile/yangnan-gu
Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter – 1-2 page cover letter describing research experience
3 required (contact information only)