Primary Purpose of Position
Research appointment as a Research Associate in the area of foodomics. The person employed in this position will use targeted and non-targeted metabolomic approach to study the chemical profile and the metabolic profile of phytochemicals in functional foods and to study the interaction between food compounds and endogenous metabolites.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
The Center for Excellence in Post Harvest Technologies fosters interdisciplinary research in post-harvest technologies, including: developing and testing functional foods, isolating and characterizing the health-promoting components in foods, improving processes to extend shelf life and control spoilage and food-borne pathogens, developing new value-added products from agricultural commodities, evaluating and modeling consumer acceptance of food products, developing and testing novel biodegradable and bioactive food packaging, and optimizing parameters for process-engineering.
CEPHT provides unique opportunities for experiential education of young scientists in cutting-edge technologies and applied post-harvest research. CEPHT seeks science-based solutions to post-harvest issues facing growers, food processors, distributors and consumers. We provide seminars, short courses, workshops, and educational materials that respond to the needs of growers, and food processing and packing industries. With advanced tools, facilities and personnel, CEPHT is prepared to help producers, processors, distributors and retailers with all aspects of post-harvest processing, including packaging, consumer research, analysis of food components, and development of new food products.
· Ph.D. in natural products, analytical chemistry, food science and nutrition, drug metabolism or closely related fields.
· A minimum of 4 years of professional and research experience in the field of herbal medicine, functional foods and human health. Professional experience should clearly demonstrate the ability to motivate, lead, and/or supervise the activities of others. Research experience is exemplified by demonstrated ability to undertake a broad-based multi-disciplinary research program, a distinctive publication track record in relevant areas and excellent oral and written communication skills is a plus.
· The following research skills are required:
- Using LC/MS and natural product approaches to study the chemical profile of a functional food.
- Structure elucidation of bioactive natural products using 1D and 2D NMR spectra
- Using LC/MS based metabolomic approach to study the metabolic profile of phytochemicals in functional foods
- Using LC/MS based metabolomic approach to study the interaction between dietary compounds and endogenous metabolites especially microbial-derived metabolites
- Hands on experience with mice
- Continuous self-development, publication activity, learning and sharing research experience are expected from the candidate.