The Materials Science and Engineering Research Institute (MSERI), at the American University of Sharjah in the UAE, is setting up new cutting-edge research laboratories in emerging areas of materials and structures. Areas of interest include (but are not limited to) advanced and smart materials, materials characterization and processing, surface science and technology, nanomaterials and nanophotonics, nonlinear optics, spectroscopy and microscopy of materials on macro and microscales, composites, metals and alloys. Application areas include renewable energy technologies, catalysis, water treatment, devices and electronics, healthcare, transport, design and analysis of sustainable infrastructures, and others. Preferred evident experience and expertise in (but not limited to ) High-Power Ultrafast Fiber-Laser Systems , nonlinear Optics and Spectroscopy, Dynamic Mechanical Analyzer, Automated Multiport Gas Sorption, High and Ultra-High Vacuum systems, Automatic Differential Scanning Calorimetery (DSC), Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM) and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), Physical Property Measurement (PPMS), Pulsed Laser Deposition techniques, Atomic Layer Deposition techniques, Spin Coating and Solar Simulator Machine and others.
The MSERI is seeking highly motivated research specialists with proven experience and expertise in handling and mastering the operation of advanced research tools and equipment that can be used in investigating the structure, property and function of materials on different scales. The successful applicant is expected to support research activities in the MSERI and work closely with faculty and researchers from different disciplines and backgrounds that are relevant to materials science and engineering research.
- Support the ongoing research projects carried out by faculty, researchers, and students in the MSERI.
- Perform daily testing, operate, and maintain equipment in the MSERI.
- Characterize, categorize and report daily status of research equipment.
- Help in data collecting and analyzing from research projects conducted in the MSERI research facilities.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- A minimum of Masters’ degree in materials science/ engineering or a closely related field; PhD is preferred.
- Previous experience using sophisticated equipment and instruments that serve materials science and engineering research. Desired areas of expertise include (but not limited to) synthesis and characterization of materials in their different forms and classes, surface microscopy and analysis, ultrafast spectroscopy, nonlinear optics, nanofabrication, device and ultra-high vacuum technology, deposition techniques.
- Computer proficiency and ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- A minimum of 4 years research experience in laboratory environment.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and the names of at least three referees who would be willing to write recommendation letters. All applications should be submitted via email to email@example.com.
Applications will be considered as they are received and until the position is filled.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants who do not meet specified requirements will not be shortlisted.
AUS alumni are encouraged to apply for these positions.
AUS is an equal opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or marital status. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with us depends solely upon your qualifications.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS: AUS complies with the US Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. During the interview process, you may be asked questions concerning your ability to perform job-related functions. If you are given a conditional offer of employment, you may be required to complete a post-job offer medical history questionnaire and undergo a medical examination, and all information will be kept confidential and in separate files.
American University of Sharjah, Human Resources PO Box 26666, Sharjah, UAE, Fax: +971 6 515 2139