Lab Assistant 2 (9603C) 15591
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 9, 2021
The Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management is a multidisciplinary program that recognizes the urgency of the challenges, and the enormous opportunities that may lead to transformative change. We have award-winning faculty in climate science, biodiversity, environmental policy, land use, and community outreach - all driven by a collective interest in our environmental future.
The Van Steenwyk laboratory conducts entomological research and evaluates reduced risk and organically approved insecticides for control of deciduous fruit, nut and vine pests as well as beneficial arthropods. After initial training, the successful candidate will assist senior staff in both field and laboratory studies. The successful candidate will work as a team member under the supervision of senior staff with field studies (trap monitoring, population sampling, pesticide applications, etc.) in the summer and data input and analysis in the winter as well as laboratory experimentation. In the summer, field studies may require departing from campus before 8:00 am and/or returning after 5:00 pm.
- Conduct entomological field and laboratory trials of pests and beneficial arthropods on deciduous fruit, nut and vine crop
- Conduct Insecticide tolerance studies of various insect pests of deciduous fruit, nut and vine crops
- Inspect various deciduous fruit, nut and vine crops for insect damage
- Apply insecticides for control of insect pests of deciduous fruit, nut and vine crops
- Organize maintain, and statistically analyze data from the above studies
- Prepare reports and presentations of the above studies
- Maintain laboratory in a clean and organized manner
- Ability to work in hot, dry conditions
- Attention to detail
- Experience in experimental biology
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with field data collection
- Ability to work as a team
- Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and two years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledges and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position
- BA or BS in a related field (and/or equivalent experience/training) with entomological course work and/or experience.
Salary & Benefits
This is an hourly (non-exempt) position. Hourly rate will be commensurate with experience (stepped rates).
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Technical Unit (TX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=15591&PostingSeq=1