The University of Kentucky is seeking a Chair, Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics. The successful candidate will report to Dean Robert DiPaola and must be able to lead, advocate, and advance all missions of the department of microbiology, immunology, and molecular genetics, preferably as demonstrated by previous leadership experience.
Since 2016, the College of Medicine’s research funding from the National Institutes of Health has doubled to reach over $129 million, with more than $200 million in total external awards, paving the way for groundbreaking discoveries to improve the health and wellness of Kentuckians. The candidate who is selected will possess excellent records of research productivity and extramurally peer-reviewed research funding in order to help the College of Medicine continue the progress in its strategic plan through transformative research, all while enhancing our reputation as a national academic medical center of excellence.
Along with research experience, the candidate should hold academic accomplishments that merit appointment at the rank of professor with tenure, as well as national – and, if applicable – international recognition. The selected candidate should be able to practice excellent written and oral communication skills to effectively lead the department’s 21 faculty members, as well as to collaborate with chairs of other College of Medicine departments.
Specific roles of this position include:
- Directing all aspects of the department, providing vision, leadership, and guidance for academic and research programs.
- Building on existing strengths within the department by recruiting and mentoring new faculty recruits.
- Promoting interdisciplinary programs in infectious disease, inflammation, and immunotherapy.
- Fostering new collaborations across both basic science and clinical departments.
- Overseeing departmental educational programs and teaching, which includes instruction at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional level.
- Performing administrative duties including conducting performance evaluations, managing personnel, and working with the department’s administrative team to formulate and stay within budgets.
Please include a CV and cover letter along with application. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and continue until the position is filled.