Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist - Genomics- Molecular and Cellular Biology
The department of Molecular and Cellular Biology at the University of California, Berkeley seeks applications for two full time Specialist openings in the Collins Lab, in the area of genomics and cell biology, at 100% time with an expected start date in the Spring of 2021.
The specialist will be responsible for contributing to Collins lab research on eukaryotic non-LTR retroelement biology and/or related technology for targeted gene insertion to the human genome. They will also keep meticulous notes, present research at group meetings, participate in group literature reviews, compose text and figures.
- Transfect RNA and RNP into mammalian cells
- Analyze genomic DNA using longread sequencing
- Construct expression vector
- Maintain various human cell lines
- Fundamental analyses of RNA
Basic Qualifications Required at the time of application:
- Bachelor's degree, enrolled in a Bachelor's degree program, or equivalent international degree
Additional Qualification Required by the appointment start date:
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent international degree
- Degree focus in Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, or a related field.
- Experience with cell transfection and/or electroporation methods.
- Expertise in molecular biology for construct cloning and RT-PCR.
- Experience with cell culture (preferably mammalian), cell counting, cell harvesting, and microscopy (preferably including fluorescence microscopy).
- Experience with RNA expression and purification, immunoblotting, and blot hybridization.
- Experience with RT-PCR.
- Working knowledge of Word, Powerpoint, Excel. Familiarity with benchling is a plus.
- 1-2 years of related experience
- Computational analysis experience preferred
These positions reports to Professor Kathleen Collins. The initial appointment will be at 100% time for one year with the possibility of extension based on satisfactory performance.
The position will remain open until filled.
Salary and Benefits:
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. This position provides full benefits. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and based on the Specialist series salary scale.
To Apply: Visit: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF02847
Specific questions regarding the recruitment can be directed to Professor Kathleen Collins firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Specialists are academic appointees in an organized bargaining unit and are exclusively represented by the United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW), AFL-CIO and its Local Union 5810.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
We will seek your permission before contacting your references. All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality:https://apo.berkeley.edu/ucb-confidentiality-policy