The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit science and technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees (www.cyi.ac.cy). The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its four Research Centers: the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Center (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmospheric Research Center (CARE-C). Considerable cross-center interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture. Its Educational activities are pursued through its Graduate School, which offers accredited post-baccalaureate degrees.
The Director of the CaSToRC will be responsible for the general operation and conduct of all affairs of the research center. The successful candidate will be located in Cyprus, and will be offered a tenured Professorship, with an internationally attractive salary and benefits package, commensurate to his/her high degree of responsibility and qualifications.
It is expected that that Director will also be an active researcher is one of the thematic areas pursued by CaSToRC which include:
- Scientific Computing and utilization of high performance computing and cyber infrastructure in general, for the advancement of scientific, engineering and other scholarly and innovation fields.
- Data-intensive applications by utilizing data science and artificial intelligence methodologies and advanced computing methodologies.
- Applications of High Performance Computing in all disciplines with emphasis in those playing an important role in the CyI research portfolio and the Smart Specialization of Cyprus including: climate, energy systems, environmental science, digital cultural heritage, imaging, visualization, finance, risk assessment, and science & engineering in general.
The successful candidate should be an outstanding scholar with strong leadership qualities, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in research management. He/she must have a scientific record of the highest international level, research expertise and leadership competencies relevant to the portfolio and thematic priorities of the Center. He/she should be cognizant of the importance of science and technology capacity building in Europe, the Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East. Previous responsibility for institution building and/or managing complex projects from development to implementation would be a strong advantage.
The successful candidate must have excellent managerial, interpersonal and leadership skills, with strong capacities for managing human resources, and for generating and maintaining contacts in the academic, business and governmental sectors, as well as obtaining support from them for the Center. Proficiency in spoken and written English is indispensable.
The Director of CaSToRC will be responsible for the conduct of all affairs of the Research Center.
Duties and Responsibilities
The selected candidate will undertake the responsibility of the general management of the CaSToRC and will be part of the managing team of the Institute:
- To help plan, develop and implement the research agenda of the Center
- To develop and implement strategies appropriate to the Center’s mission and objectives
- To recruit the Center’s research staff, and to manage, develop, appraise and motivate the staff members of the Center to carry out and achieve the center’s research objectives
- To develop and oversee the Center’s financial budgets
- To develop and improve the research and laboratory facilities of the Center
- Oversee the planning and implementing the design of the computing and other facilities appropriate to the Center’s research program
- To collaborate closely with the CyI leadership for the continuous development of the Center and of the Cyprus Institute overall
- To raise financial and other resources to support the research agenda and development of the Center
- To undertake tasks and initiatives in relation to her/his faculty appointment, including teaching responsibilities
Applicants should submit: (i) a CV including a list of publications, a compilation of research grants obtained, and relevant managerial experience, and (ii) a short, up to two pages vision statement and iii) a list of five potential referees (incl. their contact details). For full consideration, applications should be received via e-mail to email@example.com showing the following reference in the subject heading: CaSToRC_DIR_22_06.
Deadline for applications: 24th of May 2022
For further information please contact Ms. Christiana Melodias (firstname.lastname@example.org). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.