- Opportunity to become an integral part of one of the leading research centres in Australia
- Located at Camperdown Campus, at the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science
- Full-Time, 3 Years, Fixed Term, Academic Level B: Base Salary $106,343 p.a.- $126,279 p.a. plus annual leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation.
About the opportunity
Launched in 2016, the Centre for Translational Data Science’s mission is to develop fundamental data science research methods and technologies to transform science, industry and government and drive innovation for transformational impact in society. We aim to make great leaps in transforming research, advancing scientific discovery and tackling the 21st Century grand economical and societal challenges: from secure/clean and efficient energy, personalised healthcare, sustainable agriculture and natural resources to smart cities and more.
The Centre brings together researchers from different disciplines: statistics, machine learning, applied mathematics, computer science, and visualisation who collaborate within interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary teams, together with domain experts, to tackle big challenges and provide automated and tailored solutions.
We are looking for talented data scientists to join a vibrant environment where collaboration between academia, industry and government agencies prevails. This position will focus on foundational research, working with our members to provide solutions to the complex challenges related to: data integration/fusion, ethical data science and decision making.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for Postdoctoral Research Fellows that have:
● a PhD (or equivalent) in statistics / applied maths, machine learning or a related discipline, obtained within the last 5 years
● A track record of research excellence with your work published in top machine learning conferences and/or statistical/mathematical journals
● Proficiency in one or more modern programming languages (Python, modern C++ or R). Demonstrable use of other programming languages is welcome
● Mathematical and computational modelling of complex systems
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia’s first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change, which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1468/0719F
Closing date: 11:30pm, 01 September 2019 (Sydney Time)