Postdoctoral Fellowship, Data Institute
University of San Francisco
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Data Institute
The Data Institute at the University of San Francisco is proud to invite applications for a postdoctoral position starting in August 2020. Launched in the summer 2016, the Data Institute was founded with a four part mission: to find new and innovative ways to break down the walls between academia and industry; advance pure and applied data science research; build and foster an inclusive data science community; and train the next generation of data scientists. Associated academic Data Institute programs include the Bachelors in Data Science (BSDS), Masters in Data Science (MSDS) and several continuing education certificates (Deep Learning, SQL, Exploratory Data Analysis, etc.). MSDS includes state of the art education in data science and bridges knowledge-to-practice through a 9-month practicum that provides students the opportunity to be mentored and solve important data science problems with companies like Under Armour, Eventbrite, Mozilla, and Reddit. The MSDS and the BSDS programs, with the support of the Data Institute, are interdisciplinary degree programs with a diverse and growing community of full-time faculty members from Data Science, mathematics and statistics, and computer science. The data science faculty at USF and the Data Institute pursue academic excellence and are committed to fostering an environment in which faculty, staff, and students from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive.
Full Job Description:
The position is aimed at recently graduated doctoral students (0-4 years from completing their Ph.D.) from STEM elds who are interested in postdoctoral training and a career in either industry or academia. Training and opportunities the postdoc will receive include:
1. Dedicated research mentoring from aliated faculty with specialties in deep learning, natural language processing, databases, statistical modeling, network analysis, algorithms, unsupervised learning, machine learning, optimization, experimental design, health analytics, signal processing and other areas of applied mathematics, statistics, computer science and data science.
2. Research funding to support travel and dissemination of research.
3. Access to the computing resources at USF and the Data Institute that includes GPU clusters as well as Amazon Web Services resources.
4. Teaching opportunities (no more than 1 course per year) in the candidate's area of specialty in undergraduate or graduate data science courses (including, but not limited to the courses currently oered in the BSDS and MSDS curricula already developed at USF).
5. Access to specialized courses established at the Data Institute and the graduate programs at USF including in deep learning, databases, large-scale computing, statistical modeling and other areas of Data Science to complement the postdoctoral candidate's current training and expertise.
6. Opportunity to mentor or co-mentor graduate students on industry practicum projects, which will expose the fellow to practical data science problems in industry.
7. Direct assignment and support by a sponsoring DI corporate, foundation, government or non-profit partner and a mentor for an advanced research project in data science.
Candidates should possess an earned doctorate in the appropriate field of study by August 2020. This position may be renewable annually to a maximum of two years and is not a tenure-track position.
To apply, visit https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USF_Staff/job/Downtown-Campus/Postdoctoral-Fellowship---Data-Institute_R0003077.
The University of San Francisco is located in the heart of one of the worlds most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields. Its diverse student body enjoys direct access to faculty, small classes and outstanding opportunities in the city itself. USF is San Francisco's first university, and its Jesuit Catholic mission helps ignite a students passion for social justice and a desire to Change the World From Here. For more information, visit http://www.usfca.edu.