School of Mathematics and Statistics
Faculty of Science
Ref Number: 984/0518F
- Join an organisation that encourages progressive thinking
- Be valued for your exceptional knowledge and experience
- Level B, full time, fixed term for up to three years
Remuneration: $102-121K plus leave loading and up to 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
Do you want to be part of a vibrant and collegial community of world-class mathematicians and statisticians?
We are currently seeking to appoint an accomplished academic to the position of Lecturer in Mathematics. This position has been made possible by the awarding of a Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) entitled "Statistical theory and algorithms for joint inference of complex networks" to Dr Rachel Wang. To succeed, you will be a talented and well-qualified statistical scientist with expertise in any area that strengthens the school’s profile and/or contributes strategically to University activities, particularly with regards to the research interests of Dr Wang and the details of her current project.
This includes, but is not limited to network modelling and population genetics. You will need to have appropriate skills and qualifications as outlined in the position description, including a PhD in a relevant area.
If appointed, you will be expected to undertake duties consistent with an appointment at the lecturer level (Level B) on the Australian academic scale. This will include: publishing scholarly papers in international peer-reviewed journals and presenting at conferences; supervising undergraduate and postgraduate students; teaching a range of courses to undergraduate students; and applying for external funding.
We currently seek a candidate who will demonstrate the following:
- a PhD in a relevant area;
- Demonstrated evidence of independent research ability and potential in an area of Statistics.
- Evidence of ability, versatility and commitment to excellence in undergraduate teaching.
- Demonstrated capacity to work co-operatively with others
- Ability to supervise students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Demonstrated ability to undertake independent teaching and research in staff member’s discipline or related area
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills with attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Established research record and research expertise in Bioinformatics, Mathematics or Statistics
- Published research, as a sole author or in collaboration, in refereed journals
- Demonstrated understanding of the incorporation into University life of the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action; and ability to work positively with staff and students from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Evidence of administration and course coordination within a university environment and the ability to apply for competitive research funding would be highly desirable.
The position is full-time fixed-term for three years, subject to completion of a satisfactory probation and confirmation period for new appointees.
Founded 160 years ago, we’re Australia’s first university and have a global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics is a leading centre for research and education in the mathematical sciences in Australia. We attract outstanding undergraduate students and have a large cohort of postgraduate research students. The large cohort of postgraduate research students and many overseas visitors benefit from, and help to sustain, a world-class research environment. The school attracts a strong body of excellent students as well as Australian Research Council grants, fellowships, and other competitive external funding.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 984/0518F to apply.
Closing date: 11.30pm 01 July 2018 (Sydney Time)