Applications are invited for two postdoctoral Research Fellow positions in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), Shenzhen, China. The Fellows will be affiliated with the newly established Advanced Smart Infrastructures and Analytics Research Lab.
SUSTech Postdocs scholars enjoy highly competitive salaries, unparalleled access to resources and excellent academic and social atmosphere in a truly global and innovative Institution in China’s "Silicon Valley".
This is an ideal opportunity for outstanding independent researchers to join this exciting and transformative initiative at the very start of its existence, develop a cutting edge research programme and be part of the innovation revolution in Shenzhen.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To undertake independent and collaborative research in accordance with the Lab’s and the University’s mission and needs.
2. To proactively initiate and help set up new projects in partnership with academic and industrial partners both within China and abroad.
3. To contribute to the development or choice of research methods, techniques, approaches and models and create pilot software and/or systems to test novel approaches.
4. To organise meetings, seminars and research/industrial workshops.
5. To prepare and write research grant proposals.
6. To publish research papers in high impact international journals and conferences.
7. To assist in all aspects of day to day operations of the Lab and the School and contribute to their development.
8. To assist with BSc/MSc/PhD student project supervision and teaching activities.
1. A PhD in Computer Science or related fields.
2. Deep understanding and experience of research methods and processes in one or more of the following areas: Big Data Computing and Analytics, High Performance Computing, cloud computing, parallel and distributed systems, e-Infrastructures, Security Architectures, Simulation and Virtual Environments
3. Strong computer software design and development skills.
4. Outstanding academic achievement evidenced by high-quality publications
5. Outstanding problem-solving skills.
6. Strong interest in inter-disciplinary research.
7. Self-motivated and proactive.
8. Ability to work effectively and efficiently in multi-cultural settings as a team member as well as independently.
9. Excellent written and oral communication skills and inter-personal skills.
10. Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
11. Ability to travel independently within China and abroad.
12. Understanding of the Academic and Research ecosystem of China is highly desirable
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae with publications list, a Research Statement and the names of three referees to: Professor Georgios Theodoropoulos, email@example.com. Applications will receive full consideration until the positions are filled. Informal enquiries can be made to Professor Georgios Theodoropoulos.
FURTHER DETAILS ABOUT THE HOST INSTITUTION
Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech)
Established in 2012, the Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech) is a public institution funded by the municipal government of Shenzhen, a special economic zone in China and the epicentre of China’s economic miracle and ingenuity over the past 35 years. SUSTech is widely known as a pioneer for higher education reform and innovation in China. The mission of the University is to become a globally recognized research university which emphasizes academic excellence and promotes innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship. With state-of-the-art experimental facilities and guidance from internationally recognized scientists, postdoctoral fellows working at SUSTech have unique opportunities to achieve their scientific and career goals. Set on five hundred acres of wooded landscape of rolling hills and wandering creeks in the picturesque Nanshan (South Mountain) area, the campus offers an ideal environment for learning and research. The University currently has three faculties: Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering, and Faculty of Life and Health Science (http://www.sustc.edu.cn/en/).
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering at SUSTech was founded in 2016. It has 12 professors, all of whom hold doctoral degrees or have years of experience in overseas universities. Among them, two were elected into the 1000 Talents Program in China; three are IEEE fellows; one IET fellow. The department is expected to grow to 50 tenure track faculty members eventually, in addition to teaching-only professors and research-only professors. The Department is currently building capacity in the following areas: Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Systems, Cognitive Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Cybersecurity.
In line with the aspirations and ambitions of the Department and SUSTech, the "Advanced Smart Infrastructures and Analytics Research Lab", led by Chair Professor Georgios Theodoropoulos, aims to grow to a world leading research hub in Big Data Computing, Analytics, Advanced Infrastructures and Simulation and Virtual Environments.
The City of Shenzhen
Modern, prosperous and multicultural, Shenzhen is one of the international metropolises. It is located in Southern China, situated immediately north to Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. As one of China’s major gateways to the world, Shenzhen is the country’s fastest-growing city in the past two decades with around 20 million residents.
One of China’s wealthiest cities and a Special Economic Zone (SEZ), Shenzhen is the predominant epicenter of high-tech design and manufacturing in the world, home to the world’s third-busiest container port, and the fourth-busiest airport on the Chinese mainland. Named "the new Silicon Valley," and the "maker’s dream city," Shenzhen is the staging ground for Tech giants, global innovation leaders, designers, entrepreneurs and rising startups.
Shenzhen’s pleasant climate and picturesque coastal and mountain scenery have turned it into an attractive travel destination, which earned a place on The New York Times’ list of the world’s 31 must-visit destinations. Shenzhen boasts 271 kilometres of coastline serving up high-quality beaches, a vibrant metropolitan lifestyle, a thriving cultural scene, numerous entertainment attractions, shopping malls, food streets and nightlife districts; 15 golf clubs, including one of the world’s largest; and a selection of amusement parks that has made the city China’s true capital of theme parks.