Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 20 000 students and more than 400 professors. Our campuses are located in Espoo and Helsinki, Finland.
Aalto University School of Engineering invites applications for
Postdoctoral Researcher in Maritime Risk Management
Several research and innovation (R&I) projects have been implemented in the Baltic Sea area, aimed at improving our understanding of the risks, and developing analysis methods to support decision making. Much work has also been done to develop decision support system tools for risk mitigation. It is crucial that the results of such efforts are maximally utilized, and where necessary that follow-up efforts are made to ensure an efficient uptake of the developments by authorities or industry, or implemented into policy. To facilitate this, it is necessary to make a comprehensive review of the past R&I actions, addressing key issues such as the firmness of the method’s scientific basis, the quality of the underlying evidence and existing knowledge gaps, and the utility of the methods (e.g. cost-effectiveness and technology readiness level). It is important as well to gain insights in the actual uptake of R&I results, and provide pathways for improving this in the future. Finally, a comprehensive review and knowledge gap analysis can provide important inputs for setting new research and innovation agendas, which is crucial also to anticipate new and emerging risks.
Given the above, a new research project BALTIMARI will be implemented in the Baltic Sea region, with following three objectives. First, a review is made of the current state of the art of risk analysis and decision support systems for managing the risks of maritime shipping and offshore energy production in the Baltic Sea area. Second, the research uptake of past R&I actions is assessed, and suggestions are made for future improvements thereof. Third, knowledge gaps are identified and research priorities proposed in consultation with key stakeholders.
Our Marine Technology Unit is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow in Maritime Risk Management to play a pivotal role in research coordination, implementation and management of the BALTIMARI project, focusing on the above outlined topics. The postdoc will join a dynamic, dedicated group working with Prof. Pentti Kujala at Aalto University, collaborating with a research team from the World Maritime University, the University of Wismar, the University of Helsinki, the University of Tartu, and Gdynia Maritime University. The successful candidate will work closely with the project team to: (i) plan the research; (ii) collect, integrate and manage data for reviewing the state-of-the-art, assessing the research uptake, identifying knowledge gaps and research priorities; (iii) organizing stakeholder workshops and coordinating stakeholder engagement activities; (iv) preparing reports, and disseminating the results to diverse audiences; and (v) perform project management tasks.
The Postdoctoral Researcher will be employed by Aalto University (www.aalto.fi), and must be physically based in Espoo, Finland. The Fellow will have opportunities to develop his or her own research agenda associated with the BALTIMARI project, and have the opportunity for extending his or her professional network through the BONUS network. Participation in academic career development programs offered by Aalto University is encouraged.
The position is available from September 1, 2018, through August 31, 2020 (max. 24 months), subject to confirmation of project funding. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. This position is funded through BONUS, the joint Baltic Sea research and development programme (Art 185), funded jointly from the European Union’s Seventh Progamme for research, technological development and demonstration, and from the Academy of Finland (www.bonusportal.org).
The ideal candidate will be someone who:
- Holds a Ph.D. in a relevant field (e.g., marine technology, industrial engineering, risk analysis and management, transportation engineering, or a related field)
- Has interest and experience in conducting interdisciplinary, applied research
- Has the interest and ability to learn new research methods as needed for attaining the objectives
- Has experience with performing literature reviews in scientific journals and grey literature
- Has experience conducting interviews and surveys, and with organizing stakeholder workshops
- Is skilled in developing and analyzing large datasets
- Has demonstrated high productivity in producing peer-reviewed publications
- Has knowledge of or strong interest in following topics (particularly in the Baltic Sea): pollution prevention, preparedness and response, waterway risk analysis and management, maritime decision support systems, maritime transportation, offshore energy production, research evaluation, maritime policy
- Has strong time management, organizational, and project management skills
- Works well both independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Is able to communicate effectively with researchers in various disciplines and with non-academic members of governments, communities, and the private sector.
Applicants should submit
1. a detailed curriculum vitae including a list of publications,
2. two to three representative publications,
3. a statement of research interests,
4. two reference letters.
Applications with attachments (in pdf-format) are submitted through the link "Apply for this job" below no later than 31 May 2018.
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
For more Information
For additional information, please contact professor Pentti Kujala, tel. +358 40 0878145. In recruitment process related questions, please contact HR-coordinator Anna-Maija Harju, tel. +358 50 3615736. E-mails: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Living up to our values
As a community of high ethics we want to assure the highest international standard in research, education and teaching. We expect all our community members to respect Aalto values and follow the ethical principles of fair play and integrity in all our activities and the behaviour that we expect from each other. The Aalto University Code of Conduct is applicable to all Aalto community members and it clarifies the values that guide us.